|Follow Post 735 on social media:|
Thank you to all our Avenue Of Flags subscribers! Your participation helps ensure the Post can continue to support local programs that benefit our youth, our veterans and other community organizations. 2021 was a record year for us with our highest number of subscribers and number of flags to date. We greatly appreciate your participation and you have our sincerest thanks!
Upcoming Events (all times Central timezone)
- 1/25/2022, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm: Training Tuesday (virtual/online monthly training)
- 2/3/2022, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Red Cross Blood Drive (sign up online)
- 2/8/2022, 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Monthly Post Meeting
- 2/10/2022 - 2/13/2022: Iowa Department Mid-Winter Conference (Des Moines)
- 2/22/2022, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm: Training Tuesday (virtual/online monthly training)
- 3/8/2022, 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Monthly Post Meeting
- 3/14/2022, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Red Cross Blood Drive (sign up online)
- 3/21/2022, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Red Cross Blood Drive (sign up online)
- 3/28/2022, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Red Cross Blood Drive (sign up online)
- 3/29/2022, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm: Training Tuesday (virtual/online monthly training)
- 4/11/2022, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Red Cross Blood Drive (sign up online)
- 4/12/2022, 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Monthly Post Meeting
- 4/21/2022, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Red Cross Blood Drive (sign up online)
- 4/25/2022, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Red Cross Blood Drive (sign up online)
- 4/26/2022, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm: Training Tuesday (virtual/online monthly training)
|Volunteers from Deafinitely Dogs visited the Post meeting in November, sharing information on their programs for matching dogs with vets, as well as sharing Dewey and TIlly.|
|Post members and El Kahir Shrine members enjoyed Christmas in September, complete with social time, a prime rib and chicken dinner and some fun and games. Thanks to Perrin Catering (319-310-1722, http://www.perrincatering.com) for the wonderful catering and meal!|
|Members and facilitators of local VA counseling groups present a handmade plaque and monetary donation to the Post 735 Commander, Joe Helle, in appreciation of the Post's support of providing facilities for their counseling groups.|
|A burial flag is presented to Susan Olmstead on July 25th during a Celebration Of Life ceremony for Richard Olmstead.
More photos are available on Facebook.
|Dick Hogan, Vice Commander of Iowa Department, installed our new officers on July 13, 2021. Installed were Joe Helle (Commander), Larry Throndson (Adjutant) and Tim Cunningham (Treasurer). Congratulations!|
|Members of the Hiawatha Post 735 Mock Trial team, both students at Cedar Rapids Kennedy High School, present a plaque to Post Commander Troy Andersen during the June Post meeting. The Mock Trial team made the state tournament this year and lost to the team that eventually was the national runner-up!|
|Matt Kuba, head coach for the Post 735 Warriors American Legion Baseball team, presents a jersey shadow box during the Mary 2021 Post meeting to Post Vice Commander Joe Helle as thanks for the Post's support. The Post 735 Warriors were Area 4 Champions, earning a berth in the Iowa Department (state) tournament, both of which are new accomplishments for a Post 735 team.|
|Post 735 was presented 6 memorial flag boxes on March 9, 2021 by Christopher Tauber of Troop 28.
Tauber built the flag boxes for his Eagle Scout project.
|Post 735 is one of the blood drive sites for the Eastern Iowa Chapter of the American Red Cross. The opportunity to give the gift of life is available each month, right here at the Post. Visit the online donor reservation system to get your seat locked in right now!|
American Legion Post 735 is part of the nation's largest veterans service organization, committed to the mentoring and sponsoring of youth program in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting a strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow service member and veterans.
If you would like to learn more about the Amercian Legion, the Auxiliary, or the the Sons of the American Legion, please look around this site or contact us at 319-393-2377.
A common question is, "Am I eligible to join?" Recent changes to the American Legion's membership requirements most likely means the answer is yes:
- All active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion.
- Anyone who had federal active duty time in the United States Armed Forces since December 7, 1941, and were honorably discharged are eligible.
- U.S. Merchant Marines who served from December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 are also eligible.