|Follow Post 735 on social media:|
Thank you to all our Avenue Of Flags subscribers! Your participation helps ensure the Post can continue to support local programs that benefit our youth, our veterans and other community organizations. If you are in need of the Avenue Of Flags subscription flyer for 2022, you can download it here.
Upcoming Events (all times Central timezone)
- 5/23/2022, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Red Cross Blood Drive (sign up online)
- 5/21/2022, 9:00 am: Avenue Of Flags work day (build more flags, check routes, paint marks, ground stakes, etc.)
- 5/30/2022: Avenue Of Flags (Memorial Day)
- 6:00 am: put up flags
- 7:00 pm: take down flags
- 5/31/2022, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm: Training Tuesday (virtual/online monthly training)
- 6/7/2022, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Red Cross Blodd Drive (sign up online)
- 6/13/2022, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Red Cross Blood Drive (sign up online)
- 6/14/2022, 6:00 am, 6:30 pm: Avenue Of Flags (Flag Day)
- NOTE: No Post meeting on June 14th due to Flag Day Avenue Of Flags
- 6/27/2022, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Red Cross Blood Drive (sign up online)
- 6/28/2022, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm: Training Tuesday (virtual/online monthly training)
|Hannah Anderson, Isaac Newton Christian Academy, was awarded a certificate and $500 from Post 735 Commander Joe Helle as part of the Post 735 Scholarship program. Accepting with Hannah is her father, Kirk Anderson, MSgt, USAF (ret.).|
|Jack Rogers, CR Washington, was awarded a certificate and $500 from Post 735 member Mike Coleman as part of the Post 735 Scholarship program. Accepting with Jack are his parents, Jason and Jamie Rogers.|
|Olivia Scott, CR Kennedy, was award a certificate and $250 from Post Commander Joe Helle for the Richard D. Harken Memorial Scholarship as part of the Post 735 scholarship program.|
|The family of RIchard Harken presented a $250 donation to Post 735 at the May Post meeting. The donation will be used to provide an additional award for use during the Post's annual scholarship selections and will be entitled as the "Richard D. Harken Memorial Scholarship".|
|Post 735 members participated in the Hiawatha Earth Day event on April 23, 2022. Members collected flags for proper retirement and 60 cellphones, which will be sent to Cellphones For Soldiers.|
|Volunteers from Deafinitely Dogs visited the Post meeting in November, sharing information on their programs for matching dogs with vets, as well as sharing Dewey and TIlly.|
|Post members and El Kahir Shrine members enjoyed Christmas in September, complete with social time, a prime rib and chicken dinner and some fun and games. Thanks to Perrin Catering (319-310-1722, http://www.perrincatering.com) for the wonderful catering and meal!|
|Members and facilitators of local VA counseling groups present a handmade plaque and monetary donation to the Post 735 Commander, Joe Helle, in appreciation of the Post's support of providing facilities for their counseling groups.|
|A burial flag is presented to Susan Olmstead on July 25th during a Celebration Of Life ceremony for Richard Olmstead.
More photos are available on Facebook.
|Dick Hogan, Vice Commander of Iowa Department, installed our new officers on July 13, 2021. Installed were Joe Helle (Commander), Larry Throndson (Adjutant) and Tim Cunningham (Treasurer). Congratulations!|
|Post 735 is one of the blood drive sites for the Eastern Iowa Chapter of the American Red Cross. The opportunity to give the gift of life is available each month, right here at the Post. Visit the online donor reservation system to get your seat locked in right now!|
American Legion Post 735 is part of the nation's largest veterans service organization, committed to the mentoring and sponsoring of youth program in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting a strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow service member and veterans.
If you would like to learn more about the Amercian Legion, the Auxiliary, or the the Sons of the American Legion, please look around this site or contact us at 319-393-2377.
A common question is, "Am I eligible to join?" Recent changes to the American Legion's membership requirements most likely means the answer is yes:
- All active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion.
- Anyone who had federal active duty time in the United States Armed Forces since December 7, 1941, and were honorably discharged are eligible.
- U.S. Merchant Marines who served from December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 are also eligible.